Email The Law Office of George H. Romania, LLC
The Law Office of George H. Romania, LLC
Call Us For A Free Consultation
Free consultation for personal injuries and workers' comp cases

What damages can I collect in a wrongful death case?

If you lose a spouse or child in Connecticut due to someone’s negligence or misconduct, you may not realize that you can file a wrongful death suit against the person or entity that you believe caused your loved one’s death. FindLaw points out that you file a wrongful death lawsuit in civil court. What you sue for are money damages to compensate you for the death of your loved one.

If your situation is like that of most wrongful death claimants, your loved one died after suffering injuries in a car crash or other catastrophic event. However, you also have the right to file suit if your loved one died as the result of someone’s criminal conduct, such as if (s)he murdered your spouse or child or committed assault, battery, or other crime against him or her. Keep in mind that in this situation, the person you are suing need not be convicted of the crime in order for you to file a wrongful death action

Wrongful death damages

While no amount of money can make up for your loved one’s death, you can only sue for money damages in a wrongful death suit. You can sue for two types of damages: economic and noneconomic. Your economic damages are those on which you can place a precise dollar amount; your noneconomic damages, on the other hand, are more subjective and you cannot assign an exact dollar amount to them. Together, you can recover numerous damages, such as for the following:

  • The cost of your loved one’s medical and funeral eexpenses
  • The value of the pain and suffering your loved one suffered between the time of his or her injuries and the time of his or her death
  • The value of the amount of support you lost and will continue to lose as the result of your loved one’s death
  • The value of the amount of services and guidance your loved one provided to you and which you have now lost and will continue to lose
  • The loss of any inheritances you expected to receive from your loved one
  • Interest on all of the above from the date of your loved one’s death

If the actions of the person or entity you sue were especially egregious in causing your loved one’s death, you may also be able to recover punitive damages above and beyond your other two types of damages. This is general educational information only and not intended to provide legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Law Office of George H. Romania, LLC
2653 Whitney Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518

Toll Free: 888-350-3891
Fax: 203-287-9808
Map & Directions

Back to Top